The first time car owners may wonder ‘how long does an oil change take’ when the time of regular vehicle maintenance is approaching.
In general, the process itself is not severely long.
It depends on the skills of the mechanic,
but in average, oil change only takes half an hour to a full one hour.
How Long Does an Oil Change Take for Each Step in the Procedure?
Similar to other types of car maintenance,
there are a few steps needed to complete the oil change procedure.
The list below will break down the required time-length for each of the step
so you are able to build estimation for the total time.
- For the first step, the mechanic or maintenance professional will prepare the car for oil change.
- It includes lifting up the car and releasing the oil plug.
- You may expect these two steps to take around 5 minutes,
- assuming the mechanic has enough experiences and all the needed equipment.
- Next, the mechanic will drain all the old oil inside the vehicle.
- The oil draining process may take 15-20 minutes, which is the longest part of the whole procedure.
- After that, the mechanic is going to change the oil filters in your vehicle’s engine.
- This step might be done simultaneously with oil draining step,
- but if the oil filters cannot come off easily,
- this process alone may require 10 minutes or even more.
- Next step is where the new oil is added to the engine in roughly 5 minutes.
- At last, the mechanic will lower the car and replace the oil plug.
- This takes around 5-10 minutes.
There is the breakdown answer of the question how long does an oil change take?.
- How Much Oil Does My Car Need? Too Little / Much aren’t the Choices!
- How Much to Respray a Car – Easy Estimation Guide
- How to Claim Car Tax Back to DVLA For Vehicle Seller
including change “this”, is essential to be done to keep the “car’s engine function healthily”,
and provide optimum performance.
As its engine comprised of a lot of moving parts,
there may be friction happens when they rubbed on each other,
and there is no enough lubrication, thus causing heat.
Excessive heat will cause the engine to break down and experience failure.
Fresh oil helps to lower accumulated deposit within the car’s engine.
When the dirt deposit gets too much,
it accelerates corrosion and wear the engine off.
Old and dirty oil also pressures the engine to work harder, so use more gas.
you will save money on gas if you regularly put clean oil.
It’s necessary for car owners to know when their vehicle needs to go through the process of the oil.
The most practical way to determine if it’s the right time to do so is by looking at the odometer.
Newer cars usually take up 5,000 to 7,500 miles before they need another oil change.
you may decide the time by observing the area where you frequently drive the car around.
If you frequently drove in environments with extreme temperatures or extremely dusty conditions,
the maintenance might need to be done more often.
After you have learned about how long does an oil must take to change,
now you can easily determine the maintenance schedule as necessary.